Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Host with the Most

As mentioned in my last post, I was offered a host gig for earlier this month. The show went great. I had quite a few friends come see me perform for the first time and afterward, they said the show was good. It didn'nt get off to a great start in my opinion though. The first joke on my set fell flat, and the second was well on its way. But somehow an amish discovering an elevator 'fountain of youth' brought everyone together. The next couple jokes received good responses, but my last once had everyone laughing hysterically. And just as I was starting to get comfortable, I had to make way and bring up the performers. The show had 6 comics including a headliner and a feature. Due to time constraints, I was limited to just plugging and introducing the comics, with no room for my own material. Somehow, tho, I was able to get a great zinger on my best friend- who's wife just gave birth to MY third child--- The crowd enjoyed it, and my friend couldnt stop laughing. Beside that joke, I had gotten into a bit of a role of simply moving the show along and getting the comics onstage. But when it was time to introduce the headliner, he was nowhere to be found. So Im onstage plugging his work and right before I mention his name, I see alot of movement in the back of the room. A couple of comics had been trying to get my attention so I can stretch my time while they find the headliner. They were all doing sign language, giving me different signals- which all happen to mean the same thing. So the audience noticed the slight gliche, of course. Its hard not to notice when your headliner is introduced, but your host is still up there stuttering and stumbling along. But its ok. I did a bit about elephant rape (not raping an elephant- that would be wrong. Getting raped by an elephant). That bit got great response and behold, the headliner appears just as the laughter starts to die down. That last joke provided me a bit of joy. I realized that, doing the jokes is real fun, but introducing the comics is work. I hated giving up the mic to my fellow comics. Sure they're funnier, more experience, but I dont care, I want to make people laugh. Introducing the comics felt like a forced routine, and since the show didnt allow me time to throw in even one quick joke each time I was up there, I wasnt enjoying it. The joke I did my last time up provided the satisfaction I needed to be able to say I enjoyed emceeing.
Since that night, Ive been starving for soome stage time. There are no shows lined up for me in the near future aside from a couple of open mics about 60 miles away. Not sure when I'll get another shot, but if I never do get onstage again, I can at least say my last gig was a good one.

No comments: